This article is a work in progress, and is intended to become a centralized list of what we want to see for each release, how it can be accomplished, and who is planning to work on it.
General roadmap discussion should occur on the Developer Focus Forum. The wiki talk page may be used for discussion and refinement of specific points, and conversations pertaining to the roadmap article itself.
Unscheduled Topics and Tasks
list of bugs included for this release:
- The economic system needs a review (see forum thread)
Bugs reported through the forum:
- In in system defend missions, the type of enemy ship didn't seem to display, it just had an extra space in the mission description (should have said Redeemer)
- Javelin rockets cost 30,000 credits a piece. Should be more like 30 credits I think.
- Finally, in the output after I quit, there were about 50 python traceback warnings about not finding a cultivator.stock entry in units.csv. maybe one should be added, although its probably not vital. Peace out all.
- (ace123) Multi-player support beta
- Server list support, ala Quake
- Get mac building under a unified central build file (if it doesn't use ./configure)
- Implement opcode's Ray Collider for ray-mesh collisions. [safemode, ONGOING]
- Rewrite vssetup so that it parses sane XML, leading the way to a more understandable config file setup.
- Fix multi-ship ownership loopholes.
- Faction level AI (or at least the imitation of one)
- Cubemap environment to replace sphere meshes [safemode, NOT STARTED]
- Make ships (ai too) dock sanely. (auto way points?) Super big ships cant dock inside small docking bays.
- Implement OGRE as the rendering backend
- High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDRL)
- Fine-tuning SPEC
- Inter-system SPEC travel (without jump nodes)
- Keyboard remap
- A hierarchical fidelity model for physics simulation so as to expand the number of objects that can be concurrently simulated [ This may already have been done in 0.5, Verification?]
- Benifit: Improved ship spawn distances/locations
- Space dust
- Phasing out all XMESH files
- Bump mapping (req. small engine rewrite? or transition to another rendering engine?)
- Phasing out Launcher.exe (nearly done)
- Seamless planetary flight
- Make jump point wire frames HUD only. Allow for selective disabling/enabling of jump point wire frame representations via python.
- New campaigns. Some to put you into different factions to start out with (and thus different systems/ships).
- Flesh out storyline / Devise more story-based missions
- CVS Testing -- The Campaign (sticky forum thread)
Data and Artwork
- Normal maps (for shaders) support for all units in game
- Cockpit graphics for all units.
- Revision of planet types [pyramid, PENDING]
- Supplement missing cargo graphics and improvement of low-quality cargo graphics
- Improvement of space backgrounds
- Improvement of some low-quality star images
- Improve shield graphics for Target VDU [pyramid, PENDING]
- New logo/icons
- Improved planet textures (Higher quality/Fractal Enhanced?)
- Rework HUD
- Strangelet's new LODs
- Ethereal walker's ship/weapons pack
- Stats rebalance
- Re-working cargo organization?