NOTE I think this is the most important page of the wiki... so it should be the first that gets integrated into the new wiki. see the Talk:Manual Section for more info. Pontiac 07:47, 27 Feb 2005 (PST)
ANNOUNCEMENT: After the release of Vega Strike 0.4.x we need every available volunteer to update/clean/complete this manual section. We count on the VS-community here ;-)
Silverain has worked on a PDF version of this site (with some additional info too) so you will be well off by downloading it now ;)
VegaStrike Players Guide (PDF) ~1,2Mb
This Player’s Guide is dedicated to Daniel ‘Hellcatv’ Horn and the Vega Strike development team for bringing us the Vega Strike game; to the coders, artists, designers and play-testers willing to devote their own time and effort to the creation of a great game; and of course the players of Vega Strike, without whom this whole thing would be a pointless exercise.
WELCOME to Vega Strike, a 3d OpenGL spaceflight simulator being developed for multi-platform play.
Vega Strike allows players to explore a vastly dynamic universe where frontiers collide and you're just a pilot trying to make ends meet. How? That's your decision. Vega Strike is designed as a non-linear gaming experience, where you choose what action you want to take.
Vega Strike features a dynamic trading economy, allowing your character to operate as a merchant. Discover what trade routes bring in the most profit, what commodities make you the most money given your ship's cargo space limitations, accept cargo missions and learn to avoid areas of danger (repairs eat into your profits!).
If you tire of making money on milk runs, or want to try something different, then there are other paths to success. Vega Strike features a mission generator, providing multiple missions to the experienced (and not so experienced) pilots. Engage in bounty hunts, patrols, battles and escort missions. Feel like travelling? Explore the dynamic universe and see the farthest reaches of known space. Want a walk on the wild side? You could always turn pirate! Just be prepared for the consequences.
Your ship just not doing the job you want it to? Vega Strike gives you the ability to purchase from a wide variety of ships capable of doing different jobs. Want to haul cargo? Fight battles? There's a ship for you. Your ship is fully customizable, so if you've got the credit, outfit your craft with the right tools for the job at hand.
Have a chat to the bartender or view the news broadcasts to find out what's going on in the universe. While you're there, talk to the fixers, they may have a job that only you can do. But be warned, you never know where it may lead ...
- Vegastrike:License The license Vega Strike is released under (please do not edit)
- Vegastrike:Mission The Vega Strike Mission Statement (what it's all about)
- Vegastrike:Features Why Vega Strike is the best game ever made
Winner of the Jeux (games) category of the Trophees Du Libre 2003.
Your guides on how to install, configure and start playing Vega Strike.
- Manual:Install - How to install Vega Strike on your system.
- Manual:Running Vegastrike - Running Vega Strike.
- Manual:Save and Load - The Vega Strike Launcher.
- Manual:Config - Configure Vega Strike.
How to Interact with Vega Strike.
- Manual:Concourse - Where you start from.
- VsManualCargoComputer - Where to go to buy and sell.
- VsManualTrading - Trading Cargo
- VsManualMissionComputer - For news and missions of all types.
- VsManualNewsScreen - What's happening in the world
- VsManualAcceptingMissions - Play ingame missions
- VsManualWeaponsRoom - Your one stop killer ship shop.
- VsManualUpgradesScreen - How do I obtain new upgrades?
- VsManualInfoScreen - What have I got, and who wants to kill me for it?
- VsManualShipsScreen - How do I obtain new ships?
- VsManualBarRoom - come on in, have a drink!
- VsManualBaseInterface - The mechanics of how to do the above operations.
- VsManualBasicFlight - the basics on how to fly in Vega Strike.
- VsManualAdvancedFlight - advanced techniques for flying in Vega Strike.
- VsManualMatchVelocity - Matching Velocity with a Target.
- VsManualDocking - Docking to a Planet or a Capship.
- VsManualInsystemTransit - Travelling within a system.
- VsManualInterstellarWarpTransit - Interstellar Travel (Jump Drive).
- VsManualTargeting - How to Use Targeting.
- VsManualCommunication - How to communicate with other ships/stations.
- VsManualWingmen - Ordering Wingman (mission hire currently disabled in 4.1 download, enabled on CD)
- VsManualViews - cockpit and camera views - what are they and how do they work.
- VsManualHud - explanation of the HUD layout.
- VsManualMap - How the ingame map system works.
- VsManualCombat - How to fight your enemies.
- VsManualGuns - What are they and how do they work.
- VsManualMissles - When you need that extra firepower.
- VsManualTargetTracking - What is ITTS and how is it used.
- VsManualCounterMeasures - ECM stops those missiles - dead!
- VsManualCloaking - What is the device, and how to use it.
- VsManualTractorBeam - What is a tractor beam and how to use it.
- VsManualTurrets - Pilot turrets
- VsManualDeath - Death is not forever!
- VsManualGameplayFunctions - miscellaneous gameplay commands.
- VsManualKeyboardLayout - The default keyboard layout reference for Vega Strike.
- Manual:Database - Information about species/factions/ships/terms/....
- VsManualMusic - How to use your own music files in Vegastrike.
- FAQ - Vegastrike FAQs