Game How-Tos Introduction
This series of How-to articles is intended to take you through the full process of creating a model and adding it to Vega Strike.
- Adding your ship to Vega Strike - An overview of how to create and add ships to the game
- HowTo:Create Models - A summary on how to create a new model for Vega Strike
- Understanding "Smooth Groups" - a Blender tutorial on splitting smooth groups...
- Getting bevels to look good - a Blender tutorial on smooth shading and beveling...
- Smoothly Welding complex shapes - a Blender tutorial on smooth welding...
- Unwrapping your model - How to UV-map your ship so it can be textured
- Creating your own textures - A summary on how to make texture maps
- Editing BFXM files (format spec)
- Editing units.csv
- Editing the xunit file of a ship - Deprecated, but can be converted easily to .csv format
- Introduction to shaders, and what they mean for you --Bumpmaps, Normalmaps, Shininess maps ...
Artwork related Howtos
Obtain a copy of the development-version files
- Checkout Vega Strike's Subversion (SVN) modules.
- Checkout Vega Strike's Subversion (SVN) modules in Ubuntu.
- Checkout Vega Strike's Subversion (SVN) modules on Mac OSX.
- Checkout Vega Strikes Subversion (SVN) modules using GIT.
- Apply patches to source code - latest changes that are under testing and didn't make it into SVN (yet) are [available as patches on Review board].
- Checkout Vegastrike CVS modules with various programs. - Deprecated
NOTE: Vegastrike development has moved to SVN. CVS is still theoretically accessible, but the repository is months out of date and will never be updated again. There is no reason not to use Subversion instead.
- Moving data4.x to data - We recently (on May 1, 2008) moved the data4.x repository to "data". This has instructions on how to update your repository without checking out everything again.
Compile the Vega Strike sourcecode
- Compiling from SVN under Visual C++
- Compiling from SVN under Cygwin (may not work--enter at your own risk)
- Compiling from SVN under your favourite Unixlike OS
- Compiling from SVN on Mac OSX
- Compiling from the released source
- Debug a Vega Strike Compilation