One of the most useful shipboard abilities in Vega Strike is Targeting. While most pilots consider targeting as only useful in combat, in truth it is required to perform nearly all in-flight functions.
The ability to navigate, both in and out-system, requires a pilot to lock onto a navigation point (base, planet, sun, wormhole, ship, etc). Communication requires you to lock onto a target before selecting which communiqué you will send. Wingmen require you to target them before giving orders. As such, learning how to target is an important skill, possibly making the difference between targeting and shooting your opponent before he does you or making an escape with your cargo intact and not becoming space debris.
Various keys allow the pilot to target different points of interest within a system. You can also cycle through all available targets within a system. This is usually when you want to see what's out there. Unfortunately, cycling through all targets is a long process. As such, other targeting keys are more specific. You can cycle through all neutral and/or significant targets such as bases, planets and points of interest. You can narrow this further and only cycle through non-natural targets such as stations and ships. The most important for battle is the ability to cycle through targets targeting you. You can also cycle through these targets in reverse.
When targeted on large ships or stations, you can also cycle through their sub-units. Lastly, you can point your ship at an object and target it that way. Once you have a target marked, you can lock your target indicator to that target. Wherever you are facing, or wherever your target is, you can find them without having to hunt through all other targets in the system. This locking capability also allows any missiles or torpedoes carried to lock onto your target.
Last, you may store up to ten (10) selected targets in memory for later recall.
- = All Targets. Cycles through all targets in the current system.
- = Neutral and Significant Targets. Cycles through all significant/neutral targets in the current system.
- = Unnatural Targets. Cycles through all non-planetary / non-natural units (such as capships and fighters) in the current system.
- = Hostile Targets. Cycles through all hostile (to you) targets in the current system.
- = Subunit Select. Cycles through the sub-units of the ship you have currently selected.
Nearest Targeting Keys
- = Nearest Hostile Target
- = Nearest Dangerous Hostile Target
- = Nearest Friendly Target
- = Nearest Base
- = Nearest Planet
- = Nearest Jump
General Targeting Keys
- = Lock On Target. By pressing this key you can 'lock' your selection on the currently selected target.
- = Pick Target. Pressing this key will pick the target closest to your crosshairs. Tends to be used to target planets in front of you.
- to = Save Target. Stores currently selected target to the chosen number.
- to = Recall Target. Recalls chosen target to your HUD.
Please note the and targeting features also work in reverse by using .
- Manual:Keyboard layout for the necessary command keys.